Snellville Georgia History
Josie Bentley Gravitt, from Gwinnett County, who celebrated her 90th birthday on Wednesday, writes about her life and love of music. Jr. performs on Broadway and is a member of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the Peachtree Theatre Company.
The Sawyer brothers arrived in New York on April 1, and after a few weeks they headed to Madison County, where they worked on a farm for 10 months. They traveled to Jefferson and Lawrenceville, met in Danielsville and found work, where they toiled for another 10 months. In the late 1950s, they began building houses in the Snellville area, and they still meet today. So they handed over the Boise church to their leaders and drove back to Georgia.
Today Anderson - Livsey Elementary School, named after the two pioneers, is less than 400 metres from the Great House. Snellville began when Charles Sawyer and his brother James moved to the area and opened a store for supplies. Charles left Pennsylvania with his brothers James and a friend Tom, later returned south and settled in Alabama, where he devoted himself to the turpentine business. After a while he settled in Georgia, first in Madison County, then in Jefferson County and finally in Montgomery, Alabama, where after a short stay in the US Army during World War II he settled in Atlanta and worked for the turpentine industry.
The largest population growth was in Fulton and Gwinnett counties, with the highest growth rates in Cherokee and Henry counties and the city of Atlanta. After Gw Innett County was founded in 1818, many families moved to the southern part of the counties, where they found work in the cotton industry, cotton spinning and other industries. After all, an estimated 26% of all slaves in Georgia, mostly white, worked on plantations that sprang up around Snellville, such as the Great House, Anderson-Livsey Elementary School, and many other plantations.
In 1935, Horace J. Nash transferred the building to the Georgia Rural Rehabilitation Corporation for use as a vocational training center. An opportunity arose for the Third Church of Grace, which began as an orphanage for children of the poor and the elderly at the corner of Snellville Road and Georgia Avenue in the early 20th century.
Over the years, what is now Centerville and Lithonia has turned into a tree - lined with plantations through which the Yellow River flows. The new apartment building, mostly upscale, continued to carry the address Snellville as a residential area, but not for long.
The nearest luxury properties in Snellville are along US Route 78, which leads west 40 km into downtown Atlanta. The suburbs have since developed into a developed suburb and there are a large number of high-quality hotels, restaurants and shopping centres in and around the area. It is located on the west side of the Yellow River, south of Interstate 85 and near the intersection of I-285 and U-85 and Interstate 95.
The city is one of the state's fastest growing metropolises and a designated bedroom community for the city of Atlanta, just over 20 miles away.
It offers adventure and fun for everyone, including the three heroes of the Confederate Civil War who were carved into the mountainside at 400 feet above the ground. Visit the Antebellum Plantation to see the original buildings from 1783 - 1875, then drive 5 km up the mountain in a 1940s locomotive. It also houses one of Georgia's most famous museums, the Georgia Museum of Natural History.
The house, also known as the Big House, was recently purchased by Gwinnett County by the descendants of the original black owners for renovation and conservation. Robert Livsey, who was born in Dacula, bought 100 acres of Maguire's former home with $2,500 in cash he had saved from his days as a railroad worker. Two years ago they bought the house and surrounding land from Thomaslivsey, who still lives there.
James Sawyer travelled back to England to claim the inheritance and found Snell in a small settlement known then as New London. In 1948, he died at the age of 91, leaving behind his wife and children and the farmstead where he still worked. Sawyer found him in the Atlanta area, where he and his family remain known, and left Snells, who still works on the Dyer farms, an inheritance of more than $100,000 in cash and land.
It is said that new settlers arrived in the area that was to become Snellville in 1881, after the arrival of the first settlers from New London and other parts of Georgia. It received its official city charter in 1923, but growth remained slow until the 1960s, when it began to attract new businesses and residents from the Atlanta suburbs. Today Snellsville is a diverse city with more than 2,000 residents, many of whom work in a variety of industries and professions.